Instructional & Assistive Technology
Advances in technology have changed the way students live, play, and learn. Now more than ever, Florida educators use their ingenuity to adapt to both the ever-changing technology and the needs of today’s students. In many cases, educators are preparing students for jobs that do not yet exist. This is a formidable challenge; however, by teaching students essential 21st century skills through the merging of effective technology tools and best practices of instruction, transformative teaching is happening in Florida schools.
Assistive technology (AT) is any item, piece of equipment, software program, or product system that is used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of persons with disabilities.
Learning Ally Parent Webinar 11/30/2017
Introduction to Lesson Pix Screencast 10/26/2017
Introduction to Learning Ally Webinar-10/11/2017
Introduction to Prodigy Math Webinar-10/16/2017
Assistive Technology Technical Assistance Paper (TAP) Learning Modules:
Online Modules, Tours, Tutorials and Demos
- Microsoft Word in the Classroom - The tips and tricks to utilizing this powerful tool with students
- Kidspiration Diagram and Outlinining Software Quick Tour from Inspiration (Grades K - 5)
- Inspiration Diagram and Outlinining Software Quick Tour from Inspiration (Grades 6 - 12)
- Clicker 7 Getting Started-90 second training
- SOLO Software-Online Tutorials
- Learning Ally-Support for Dyslexia and Learning Disabilities
- Smart Board Interactive White Board - Getting Started Video
- Smart Board Two-Minute Tutorials from Smart Technologies
- Don Johnston Tutorials
- Link to Screencast for SMART Notebook Basics tutorial-created by Jessica Callaghan
- Center for Accessible Technology in Sign (CATS) - Dedicated to providing accessibility to learning via sign language to enhance language, literacy and general world knowledge by providing tools which make text, captions, video, web pages, and multimedia accessible to deaf users, particularly children.
- Discovery Kids - Videos, games, puzzles and fan sites.
- Education World "The Educator's Best Friend"- Information on lesson planning, professional development, school issues and technology integration.
- RMTC-D/HH Resource Materials & Technology Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing - Interactive websites for the classroom for all grade levels and subject areas.
- Funbrain.com - Fun learning activities and games for students and recourse materials for teachers.
- Lesson Planet - Teachers... Find Online Lessons Fast! Search from over 80,000 online lesson plans that are teacher-reviewed and correlated to state standards.
- LiveBinders- Jessica Callaghan's LiveBinder containing hundreds of online resources for Universal Design for Learning, iPad, visual supports, and many, many others. Updated frequently, so keep checking in for new resources.
- PBS Kids- Learning tools and adventures for your students with characters they know.
- PBS Teacher Source - Free Pre K-12 resources to support learning at home and at school.
- Scholastic - Scholastic.com is an award-winning portal for school-based professionals including teachers, administrators, librarians, as well as families and kids.
- Starfall.com - Where children have fun learning to read.
The sites below are very active containing the latest trends and news on products and resources being used in our classrooms today.
- Apple Education
- ATIA - Assistive Technology Industry Association
- Closing the Gap - Assistive Technology Resources for Children and Adults with Special Needs.
- Edutopia - The George Lucas Educational Foundation publishes stories of innovative teaching and learning through a variety of media -- a magazine, an e-newsletter, CD-ROMs, DVDs, books, and this Web site.
- eSchool News Online - A monthly print newspaper providing the news and information necessary to help K-20 decision-makers successfully use technology and the Internet to transform North America's schools and colleges and achieve educational goals.
- Microsoft Educational Resources - Provides links to educational competencies, lesson plans, case studies and more.
- Reading Rockets - A national multimedia project offering information and resources on how young kids learn to read, why so many struggle, and how caring adults can help.
- Center on Technology and Disability - Assistive and instructional technology (AT/IT) allows children across the ability spectrum to participate fully at home, in school, and in the community. The Center on Technology and Disability provides a wealth of free resources – personal and professional development webinars, articles, guides, training materials and more.
- Georgia Project for Assistive Technology - Implementation and Integration / Assistive Technology Resource Charts.
- Special Education Resources on the Internet (SERI) - Special Education Resources on the Internet (SERI) is a collection of Internet accessible information resources of interest to those involved in the fields related to Special Education.
- http://www.digitalwish.com/dw/digitalwish/grant_awards- digital wish is dedicated to helping schools gain technology access across all subject areas awarded every month
- http://www.toshiba.com/taf/-Toshiba America Foundation accepts Grade 6-12 applications for $5000 or less on a rolling basis
- http://www.verizonfoundation.org/grants/-Verizon Foundation Grants
- http://www2.dollargeneral.com/About-Us/Serving-Others/pages/DG-Cares.aspx-Beyond Words: The Dollar General School library relief program
- http://www.donorschoose.org/Donors Choose connects teachers who have approved funding requests that meet eligibility requirements with willing donors
- https://www.wellsfargo.com/about/charitable/fl_guidelines- The Wells Fargo Foundation supports many K-12 initiatives in specific states the compant serves
- http://captainplanetfoundation.org/-Captain Planet Foundation Grants
- https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/grants-Target sponsored grants
- http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/ -American Library Association grants
- http://www.toolboxforeducation.com/-Lowe's Toolbox for Education
- http://www.neafoundation.org/pages/learning-leadership-grants/ -Learning and Leadership grants sponsored by the NEA foundation
- nsta.org/about/awards.aspx-NSTA Awards for Science
- http://www.northropgrumman.com/CorporateResponsibility/CorporateCitizenship/Philanthropy/Pages/FoundationGrantGuidelines.aspx- Northrup Grumman Corp. awards grants that address education related initiatives that promote the advancement of science, technology, engineering, and math on a national level.